September 20, 2010

Sri Lanka at Last


I had planned to visit Sri Lanka two years ago as the finale of a milestone birthday celebration. Since 2006, I have sponsored a little girl near Columbo with an organization called Children Incorporated and I wanted to visit her. Unfortunately, the Civil War there, which had been raging in fits and starts since 1983, reached what turned out to be its final paroxysm about the time I was about to make my plans. A holiday avoiding bombs and bullets was not what I’d had in mind.
This spring I said to myself “The war ended a year ago. You can either continue to idly think about going to Sri Lanka or you can get organized and actually go.” Shortly afterwards, on my way home from an errand, I passed a travel agency with a brochure for Sri Lanka in its window. I went in to ask a few questions -- and a few weeks later I sat perusing my itinerary. I would have nearly two weeks to sightsee and a free day towards the end when I could organize a visit my little girl.




“I’m going to Sri Lanka” I started mentioning casually to my friends in an attempt to make it sound more real. The last “big trip” I’d taken was to South Africa ten years ago so I felt like a novice as I tried to think of what I needed to take, wondered about adapters and how I’d get money and whether I should worry about malaria.



On September 3rd, as I packed, I alternated between excitement and wondering if this trip was a good idea. Soon, it was too late for doubts. My taxi arrived. I was off. Let the adventure begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment