September 24, 2010

Relaxing in the Jungle

I woke up as the car slowed down.
“We’re almost at the hotel, Mum.”
I saw trees, grass and the dirt road we were travelling on. And a gate. But no hotel.
We stopped.
“You can go to reception, Mum”.
Where was that? Oh yes. In front of me was a cream-colored concrete structure with no walls. But there was definitely a reception desk in the back.
I filled out the form that was presented to me, sipped my “Welcome drink” of watermelon juice and was led down a winding stone path to



my home for the next four days.
Many travel agents arrange for their clients to spend their first night in Colombo. Mine preferred to drive me 3 hours into the center of the Island right away and then let me relax in tropical splendor. I approved from the first moment.
This hotel, built 3 years ago, houses its guests in 31 individual chalets scattered throughout its large grounds around the centrally located restaurant.



The restaurant has no walls, like reception, but has a beautiful view.



None of the chalets is exactly beside or in front of another and the trees offer still more privacy. Though the restaurant was full every evening and morning, the only sounds I heard were the birds.






Speaking of birds, a black-hooded oriole served as my wake-up call every morning. He came thumping against my window between 6 and 6:30 and then raced away before I could get a picture. Here’s one from the internet. Thanks Google.




Never mind. It gave me more time to enjoy the “outdoor shower” – not really outdoors but the roof above it was cut out and covered over with netting – to let all the sunshine in while keeping unwelcome visitors out. Just what I needed before starting a busy day of sight-seeing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving having this doled out in bits to savor over time.

    ReplyDelete