April 27, 2014

The Day of Books and Roses

You wouldn’t think there would be much concern about the future of books in France. When I explain to my French friends about Book Clubs in the United States, they look at me blankly. A specific event to discuss a book? Isn’t that what friends do whenever they get together?
Ever since television has existed there have been literary programs, both long and short.. At the moment there are five. The longest running is Un livre, un jour– a two minute program shown from Monday to Friday in the early evening since 1991. A different book is presented each day. The show is broadcast from a book store, a library, a café or a museum that often has some connection with the book of the day. As well as specific literary programs, there are regular segments on radio and television talk shows presenting books or interviewing authors. The major newspapers have book sections as does the most-read TV guide. There are also magazines devoted to books.
Then there are the literary prizes, usually announced in the autumn. At last count there were over 50 major and minor ones given by publishing houses, women’s magazines, and book stores or started by individuals or groups wishing to honor a specific type of literature.
There are over 2500 independent book stores in France. Some close each year, but others open so the total number remains constant. The 30 year old Lang Law which requires all booksellers to sell each book at the price fixed by the editor has helped. But operational costs rise more than profit margins so the smaller bookstores struggle.
Readers are changing, too. If they can’t get the book they heard about on television right away they’ll order it on Amazon or never read it at all. Only a smaller number of older readers are willing to wait a week. Some prefer e-readers or the internet; others have had to reduce their book budget for financial reasons.
Aware of all this, the fervent book-lover and Montmartre bookshop owner, Marie-Rose Guarniéri, decided 12 years ago to create a special day called la Fête des Libraires (the Booksellers’ Celebration) She decided to hold it on the Saturday nearest to St George's Day. (Yes, the Saint George that slayed the dragon.) He is not only celebrated in England but in Catalonia where he is the patron saint of booksellers. Local legend says that from the blood of the slain dragon a rose tree grew and that the princess Saint George saved gave him a book to thank him.
This year the Fête was on April 26th. 480 French and Belgian booksellers participated, thanking their clients by giving them a rose and a book. Naturally I could not resist and visited two book stores near me -- but just far enough away that I had never discovered them.


I chatted to the booksellers as regular clients came and went, picking up books previously ordered or in search of something new. I explored the shops and wrapped myself in the book lover’s atmosphere. Afterwards I came home, hurrying to beat the threatening rain. The skies opened just as I reached my staircase. I didn’t care.
I had new friends to discover, including one to share with the children I read to.


 I had my roses.


I had my special book.


made up of short texts by contemporary  French authors about other authors who share the initial of their last name, each letter designed by Christian LaCroix (Yes that Christian LaCroix)


As well as an independent designer, he is a book lover and illustrator.( Several years ago Lacroix collaborated with Camilla Morton in a new version of Sleeping Beauty .)
Let it rain.
.




No comments:

Post a Comment