December 3, 2010

A Special Day

Lankesh picked me up at my « private hotel » the next morning. This was the day of my visit to the little girl I’ve been sponsoring since 2006 – the reason for my visit to Sri Lanka. I wondered if she was excited, curious or perhaps a little nervous that morning. I wondered how we would communicate. She only spoke Singhalese and I ---- didn’t.
After a phone call to get driving instructions, we drove to Lankesh’s town where we stopped to buy a few gifts. Then we continued along the main road between Galle and Colombo. We were expected at 3 p.m. But, even though we went slowly and stopped for lunch, it was only about 1 p.m. when we turned off the main road. We were now on a very narrow street. The houses on both sides were close together and almost at street level. I was just thinking that it looked like a poor neighborhood when Lankesh breathed reverently, “Rich people live here. Big houses.” Just another proof that you should never have preconceived ideas in a country you’ve never been to.
After checking with a passerby, Lankesh turned left, then right. We had arrived.



As we continued down the driveway



my heart beat faster. But not as fast as the matron’s when she saw us. She was flustered because the children weren’t home from school yet and the ladies from Colombo, who spoke English, hadn’t arrived either. Lankesh soon put her at ease while I smiled reassuringly.
We were given a short tour of the home including the bedrooms



and the schoolroom where the girls have extra lessons in the afternoon.



The matron and a former resident who now helps take care of the girls allowed us to take their picture.



Then they bustled off. Soon, the younger woman was back with tea, bananas and caramels and the matron called me to the phone. I spoke to Mrs Sahabandu, President of the family association that runs the home. She apologized and said she and her cousin would arrive as soon as possible.
Just before they did, the girls came home from school in their white uniforms. Arulpriya came in with a shy smile.



(All Children Incorporated allows me to show you, I’m afraid -- to protect the children’s privacy.) She was tiny – her head about 6 inches below my shoulder. Her big brown eyes sparkled and she wore her hair in two pony tails fastened with brown elastics. We sent her off to lunch but she came back in record time in an orange dress with a cartoon character print and sat down beside me. We couldn’t speak, of course, but smiles, presents and showing her the pictures in my camera gave us a personal contact which we both enjoyed.
When Mrs Sahabandu and her cousin arrived, I learned more about the Home. It was founded in 1940 by their aunt to look after destitute girls. They have room for a maximum of twenty-five girls. Social services places the children there and they usually stay until they are 18. By this time they have a high school education and are trained for a job. Arulpriya, not quite 10, has already been there four years, though she does see her mother during school vacations.
All too soon, a few curious heads peeped round the corner of the room where we were seated to call their friend to her English lesson. It was time to say goodbye.



The end of a very special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment