February 1, 2010

Happy New Year .... at last.

Of course, the United States celebrates New Year’s Eve. But – is it because we’ve been on the go almost non-stop since the fourth Thursday in November? –the fancy parties seem to be mainly for the young, the rich and/or the famous.
Most of my friends stay home and watch movies in comfortable clothes.
When I began spending New Year’s in Charlottesville, I also started attending First Night Virginia. This event was created as a way of offering a family friendly (that’s American for no alcohol) New Year’s Eve festivity promoting the arts. Charlottesville has had First Night since 1981. Local theatres, churches and other venues host a series of short, free music, theatre and dance performances from 3 p.m. to midnight. Attendees purchase a button and can attend as many performances as they want. A hard-working largely volunteer committee organizes this event all year and on the night itself many more volunteers make it happen. I have volunteered at First Night for about 14 years.


(When not taking the picture, I was standing next to the lady you see helping orient volunteers to their assigned venues.)
I do this in the afternoon or early evening when the programmes are for young kids and enjoy their excitement. If I’m feeling energetic, I meet a friend and go to a few concerts afterwards. But, this year, I decided that I’d rather have a quiet dinner at home and relax.
The period around the New Year is a little confusing for me. My Charlottesville stay is coming to an end so I’m simultaneously in “finishing up” mode and in “starting something new” mode. It’s all a little exhausting.
Back in Paris, the new year is celebrated heartily. Christmas decorations, remain during the entire month of January.




New Year’s cards and e-mails flow back and forth during the month. Since I don’t have a mantel here, I display them on my wall.


“Bonne année. Meilleurs voeux. Bonne santé!» (Happy New Year. Best wishes, Good health) are some of the obligatory greetings the first time you meet a friend, a colleague or even a shopkeeper you know well in January, even a week or two after New Year’s Day.
And then there’s the galette. "Galette des rois" or King’s cake once was served only on Epiphany. But, to the joy of the bakers, now it’s eaten during the entire month at gatherings of family, friends, work groups, clubs and associations. Even people with January birthdays often have a galette with candles as a birthday cake.
Different regions have different galettes but the ceremony is the same. It is cut like a pie and each person either picks out his or her own piece or is handed one by the hostess. (In family gatherings, the youngest member of the family sits under the table and calls the name of a family member as the mother or grandmother asks “Who’s this piece for?”) Hidden in the galette is a little ornament. It used to be a bean and is still called "la fève" (the bean) The lucky person who gets it is king (or queen) of the evening and wears the crown that comes with each galette.
I always have friends over the second Sunday of January.



For me, this is the true beginning of the year. I’m back in Paris. I’m over my jet lag. I’ve gathered as many friends as are free and not sick around me. Bonne année everybody. Let’s see what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment