April 15, 2010

Celebrating Books ..... and Spring

For the last sixteen years, just when people are thinking that winter will never end, readers, writers and books sprout up all over Charlottesville.






The Virginia Festival of the Book has arrived. Can spring be far behind?




Like other events and activities that are now an important part of my life, my relationship with the Book Festival, as its aficionados affectionately call it, began on a whim. Ten years ago, my good friend Nancy took over directorship of the Festival.


I had no idea what to expect of it, but I love books and thought it would be fun to come see Nancy in her new job. By the end of the first day, I was hooked. I’ve only missed one Festival since -- sitting in Paris wishing I was in Charlottesville the whole time.
Non-Charlottesville friends often remark “Oh, yes. It’s time for your Book Fair” as I prepare for my first trip back to Virginia each year. “Not Book Fair; Book Festival,” I amend. “Whatever,” their condescending smiles reply. But the distinction is important. Book Fairs take place in big conference centers bulging with stands where publishers display their latest wares. There is an “authors’ events” section in the catalog but a Book Fair is mainly about commerce. The Virginia Festival of the Book is about readers and writers – with some buying selling and promoting of books, of course. At least the authors hope so.

Writers – more than three hundred of them -- come to the Festival to speak and read from their works. Most participate in panels of from two to four authors. Over two hundred events take place over the five days. If, as I do, you go from morning til night, you feel as if you’ve had a college seminar by the end of the week. And you’re as tired as if you had attended one, too.

Another fun thing about the Book Festival is the variety of venues. This year I attended programs at the Omni Hotel (center of operations and where most of the out-of-town authors stay), the library, City Council Chambers, the County Office Building auditorium, a local restaurant , the Paramount Theater, the University Book Store and the university theatre.

Had I made other choices or had a car, I could have attended events at other book stores, the Jefferson Library at Monticello, a gourmet kitchen store, a running shoe store or the Senior Center. Sure beats the enclosed atmosphere of a major conference hall.
A few years ago, I begged Nancy for a volunteer job and she found me the perfect one. I work with another woman, organizing the team of volunteer drivers who chauffeur out-of-town authors to and from the local airport and, if needed, to and from their programs. My part of the job is to make a spread sheet of all the arrivals, departures and programs and slot in the volunteer drivers for each author. By the time the Festival begins, I have basically memorized the names and travel details of half the authors I meet.
After three weeks of spread sheets and co-ordinating phone calls followed by five stimulating and mind-stretching days and evenings, I need to relax. Thanks to a number of friendly authors and booksellers, I know just how I’m going to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment