September 16, 2009

Choices


I love trains. My friends often hear me cry « Why did the United States let its passenger trains die?! » Recently, one replied “It was Eisenhower. He built Interstates so the United States would be able to move troops easily like the Germans in WWII.” Shortly thereafter, another friend added “Before that, GM developed a strategy to replace street cars and trains by buses and cars.” I obviously missed out on part of my education. My recent trip to Germany showed me that Eisenhower had missed part of his, too.
I took the Thalys -- the fast train -- to Cologne. It has been linking Paris, Belgium, Germany and Holland for twelve years. We sped along at 170 km/hr (102 m.p.h.) on average. The business people were connected to the internet via the free WiFi. The rest of us read, looked out the window, or chatted. I reflected that, though the French and Germans love their cars and are proud of their roads, they had kept what so many Americans are fond of --- choices. This became more obvious as my trip unfolded. Ecology, economy and convenience were considered for every transport decision. The first friends I visited live in a small town between Bonn and Cologne. Bernhard and Carola have four children aged 14 to 21. Their garage holds a car (they bought a new one recently under Germany’s version of Cash for Clunkers) and 5 bicycles. The 6th is with Anne in Bonn where she is a student. Bernhard works in Bonn and takes the train. “It’s only one hour door-to-door”. Carola’s favorite mode of transportation is her bicycle. She goes to work, to language classes and to choir practice by bike. Since the supermarket is close, she bikes there, too. “If I have too much to carry, I go twice”.

The children get around by bike or on foot. The three girls have learned to drive but only one of them likes it.
They’ll pick up Julia, returning from Canada, at Frankfurt airport soon. It’s about 150 km (85 mi) away. “Let’s just go by train,” said Bernhard. When reminded that she arrived at 7 a.m., he thought maybe the car could be used! During the four days I was in Rheinbach the car was pulled out only three times – for my convenience.
The end of the week I spent in Bavaria with other friends. Helen and Nico live about 20 km from Nürnberg where Helen works. She bikes to the station and takes the train. Nico often bikes to work ‘It’s only 11 km”. Again the car was used basically to chauffeur me to and from the station and on a visit to Bamberg.
Of course, for people to have choices there has to be infrastructure. Germany not only has the good roads Eisenhower emulated. The local trains are comfortable and convenient. Trains stop at Rheinbach (population 26,000) 8 times an hour from 5 a.m. until midnight. The Intercity trains are fast and frequent. Ingenious fares abound. If you have a commuter ticket, a friend can travel with you free after rush hour. There are passes for two adults, one child and a bicycle.
Ah the ever-present bicycle.
You can ride to the station and leave it until evening.


You can take it with you on the train.

Or you can forget the train and just take your bike since, every town and village seems to be linked by bike paths.
My North American friends often speak of the freedom their cars give them. My German friends feel that real freedom is having a choice.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous16/9/09

    I believe we can redevelop such choices in the States! Before coming to Germany I lived for two years in Washington, D.C., during most of which time I was without a car. I took the bus from my apartment to work in Dupont Circle, and took the metro every day to canvass the environs as part of my job. D.C. is one U.S. district with truly accessible public transportation, but there are few convenient links to the outside world by rail. That has got to change.

    Thank you for posting such a thoughtful and detailed account of your travels in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just amazing to me how easily people get around Europe. The car has been king so long here nobody can even envision any other way. I have read about at least three people on bicycles getting killed here locally in the last three months: one was mugged for his bicycle, sustained a head injury, and died two weeks later; two others were hit by hit-and-run drivers. You literally take your life in your hands here if you venture onto busy streets with a bicycle. Riding the suburban side streets is one thing; riding to work on busy highways is just too scary to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith REDMOND18/9/09

    This is one of the reasons I love living in Europe - the train system! Whenever I take a train, I get to see the countryside that I would not see via an airplane. I also imagine what it must have been like in my parent's and grandparent's day in the US when trains were THE mode of transportation!

    Sandy - these are excellent insights you give and I find your writing superb!

    ReplyDelete