June 15, 2009

My Reasons for Committing Bloggery

For months now I have been contemplating this blog. No, I have none of the usual reasons
  • no life-changing event
  • no fabulous trip
  • no advice I feel needs to be given -- and preferably, by me

And I certainly don't want to be one of those people whom Margaret Atwood scorned in an interview I read recently: "It's like everyone is blogging about how they brushed their teeth this morning."

But, over the years, I have had the same questions again and again from different people.

What's it like to live in Paris?
What do you do in Paris?
Why Charlottesville?
Why don't you just spend 6 months in Paris and then six months in Charlottesville?
Do you feel more French or American? .........

I like to answer questions and explain things. I like to take pictures and show them to people. I like to observe and write about what I have seen. Those seem to be good enough reasons for a year or so of bloggery.

I see this blog as un unfolding of the events that mark my time and the time of the places where I live -- a sort of secular and personal Book of Hours. I hope you'll come along for the journey through a year of my Double Life.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you started this blog! I am eager to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading why you chose that quartier. As I've said before, you write very,very well. Enjoyed, too, the Monet comparisons. Looking forward to more.

    LeRoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'ai en commun avec toi la "double vie" d'étrangère à Paris, mais je vais surtout suivre ce blog pour savoir ce que tu fais quand on se voit pas au cours de tricot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous17/6/09

    Really enjoyed knowing more about the interesting area you live in! I have been fascinated by the French Impressionists and your photos of the streets they used in their familiar painting was very meaningful. Your cousin, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michaela17/6/09

    I used to feel about blogs the same way as Margaret Atwood, but I must admit I enjoyed reading yours and you wet my appetite, so please do continue, write about the Paris I don't know though I have lived there myself for years and write about places we don't know and share your world with us. Those comparisons of photos and paintings are a great idea. I particularly enjoy the Caillebotte. Cheers, Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob Dilworth, Toledo Ohio17/6/09

    Hi Sandy!

    Great idea for a Blog! I especially like the photos of modern-day Paris juxtaposed with the paintings.

    I can't imagine what it'd be like walking home from the grocery and and hearing singers practicing or seeing the street I live on in a Manet painting. It almost sounds like a daydream one might have about living in one of the world's great cities. It's even cooler to hear that it's real.

    Anyway - keep up the postings and pics. I like it a lot!!

    Bob D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy Damon25/6/09

    This is the second time I have taken a moment to look at your blog. I really enjoyed it, and will certainly keep reading it. The photos and the paintings are really fun. I also loved the bac questions. A little different from our multiple choice SATs.

    ReplyDelete